- Related Articles
- Rain Gutter Cleaning Basics
- How Much Should I Expect to Pay a Roofer for a Service Call?
- Repairing, Draining and Cleaning Your Downspouts and Gutters
- Solutions For Mold On Shingles
- Roof Repair for Flat Roofs: When and How
- Decide Whether to Repair or Replace Your Roof
- Home Roof Inspection
- The Bi-Annual Roof Check
- How Much Does a Gutter Cleaning Cost?
- Rusty Metal Roof: What To Do
- All Articles
Gutter Cleaning Tools
If your gutters look like this, it’s time to clean them out!
Whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall, your gutters need care and attention. They need to be cleansed of debris such as leaves, branches and even ice. Here you will find practical gutter cleaning tips which will help you learn the most effective ways to clean your gutters and the best tools to use for the job. Below you will find a list of several websites where you can purchase the necessary gutter cleaning tools. There are also several tools in your home that can double as gutter cleaning tools, such as a trowel, garden spade or even a spatula! If you are not able to clean out the gutters on your own then consider hiring a professional contractor to do it for you.
Did You Know?
Did you know that when gutters are clogged, typically 25% of the debris is at the bottom of the gutter (blocking the hole), 60% of the debris is at the top, and 15% is stuck inside the downspouts (according to UltimateWasher.com). Another interesting fact is that pine trees surround a large number of houses, particularly in eastern and central states. The pine needles from those trees tend to get stuck inside the downspouts.
Why Is Gutter Cleaning So Important?
Gutter cleaning is part of maintaining your home, and maintaining your home is what will ensure that your house will continue to function properly. Good roof and gutter maintenance help prevent damage and save you money. Cleaning gutters (and using some of the gutter cleaning tools found here) will help you avoid costly repairs and prevent water damage to your home. Clogged gutters hold in water and debris, which add weight to the gutter system and can cause the gutters to loosen. Overflowing gutters will eventually allow water to seep under the shingles on your roof and into your walls through ridge vents and windows. Use the gutter cleaning tools below to help prevent damage to your home.
Gutter Cleaning Tools
- Always follow proper safety precautions when using a ladder in attempting to access the gutters.
- If you use any of the gutter cleaning tools discussed here, make sure to clear all debris from the gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure that the downspouts are cleared before you flush the gutters with water.
- Use a hose to flush out the downspouts and gutters.
- Consider borrowing, renting or purchasing a power washer for deep-cleaning the gutters.
- Make sure to inspect the gutters for any damage. If you find damage and need to replace the gutters, find a reliable contractor.