- Related Articles
- DIY Roofers and Professional Roofing Contractors’ Materials
- Replacing Asphalt Roof Shingles
- Metal Roofing Underlayment
- Four Steps for Replacing Wood Shingles
- Roof Repair and Safety
- How to Paint Aluminum Siding
- How to Install Rain Gutters
- Should You Repair or Replace a Roof?
- Gutter-Cleaning Vacuums and Other Implements
- DIY Roofing – Is It Worth It?
- All Articles
Quick Fix for a Leaking Roof
Did you ever wonder whether there was another quick solution to your leaky roof besides buckets in your dining room? The good news is that there is! You will need to be comfortable with going up into your attic and onto your roof; be sure that you know how to climb up there safely. If you are able to climb up and get some roofing cement, then you are in luck, since you will be able to make an emergency patch. Follow these steps for a temporary fix. Then call a local roofing contractor to help you with the rest.
1. With a trowel, stirrer or spatula, spread the roofing cement into the hole from the inside of your attic or overhead crawlspace. Make sure you apply a nice amount of the cement directly to the decking and work the cement until it sticks.
2. The next step is to insert a temporary shingle on your roof. All you will need to do is insert a galvanized sheet of metal in between the good shingles and just above the damaged or missing shingle. Make sure your roof is dry before you go up there, as a wet roof is slippery and dangerous.
Find a reliable, local roofer 24 hours a day to fix your roofing emergency.